[
Thursday, December 02, 2004
. So, you think you're unique?]
Had this convo with Sheryl about being unique, different and all the crap that comes with it. Kept thinking about this uniqueness-fetish or whatever you call it, on and off. The novel I'm reading actually talks about this too. Like how the guy is so uniquely different it makes the girl oh-so-confused. Dreadfully cliche. Dreadfully. It's weird, this preoccupation with wanting to be unique and different. What's the big deal anyway right. But before I go off my rocker with this sensational topic *woohoo*, lemme tell you about my not-quite-so-boring day. :)Woke up at like 10? Washed up and prepared to go for driving lesson. Haha. Was actually having some butterflies in my stomach cos I haven't driven since 4/11!! argh. Yeah, considering how GOOD I am, boy was I nervous. But it was all good in the end, managed to mount the kerb like thrice only. *applause* I'm awfully proud of myself. Right.Headed to BP after that, met my sis, ate at Long John's, walked around, bought stuff for ourselves and our cousins. Good day, considering the fact that it didn't rain here. It threatened to, for a while. Walked back home safely, in one piece. Packed up a small part of my room and collected 3 big bags of rubbish. I'm always unwilling to throw things away. And stuff just keeps piling up in my room. Watched Spore Idol. Taufik made it! =) I'm glad. He's a Voice alright. But I guess all 11 finalists were good in their own unique ways. Unique again. wth. What a word. Ok, good way to round back to the topic. People always say, like, whenever something happens and all, and you're upset about not making it to some place/position that you want to etc... it's always "it's alright. everyone's different. doesn't mean that you're not good. everyone's unique in their own special way" blah... and I hate hearing this sort of "oh everyone's special" crap. What's with being unique and different and special? It's not that I'm so against people saying these stuffs. But in a way, I think it kinda makes little sense. Like ok, hmm...if everyone's unique and different, taking the words' common meanings, then categorically speaking, no one is really unique and different in the same sense of the words. Right? Ok, maybe it's one of those nights when I tend to talk to myself. But it's definitely not that comforting (to me) if I was upset and all you can say is "you're unique in your own special way." I'm not unique. Because everyone else is unique, I'm not unique anymore. And if you don't already know, we're all socially constructed. I'm culturally engineered. I'm just a specimen pretending to be different when I'm so plainly normal. (Ok, now define normal. That's just the opposite side of this meaningless spectrum. Many things are so mutually definitive. It's so irritating. Cos then, you can't really define something without defining something else and it just goes on and on. Darn. ) Everyone loves to buy into this stupid idea of being unique. I think it's dumb. I'm being difficult here, I know. But I don't care. Sheryl said that everyone's unique because they're different. We're all different. There's no two same persons in this world. But how do we know? hm. ok. Maybe it's true. But. ARGH. Forget it. I'm getting defensive. Bottomline: I still think, we can never really be unique by virtue of the fact that the entire world is already unique. How different can you get when everyone else is different? Sheesh. Humans are never satisfied. And I love to go round in circles talking about stuff like this. I'm a chatterbox I hate myself. -.-"Chuck this if it offends you. I've totally no grievances about people thinking that everyone is really actually unique in their own ways. This just bugs me on a night like this. Should bugger off now. Maybe when I wake up tmr and re-read this, I'd so totally agree that I'm really off my rocker tonight. Great.
i blogged today at 2:10 am
"I was created an original, so I shall never die a copy"
<< Home
------
blog
profile
tag
wishlist
MIRROR
I am silver and exact. I have no preconceptions.
What ever you see I swallow immediately
Just as it is, unmisted by love or dislike.
I am not cruel, only truthful---
The eye of a little god, four-cornered.
Most of the time I meditate on the opposite wall.
It is pink, with speckles. I have looked at it so long
I think it is a part of my heart. But it flickers.
Faces and darkness separate us over and over.
Now I am a lake. A woman bends over me,
Searching my reaches for what she really is.
Then she turns to those liars, the candles or the moon.
I see her back, and reflect it faithfully.
She rewards me with tears and an agitation of hands.
I am important to her. She comes and goes.
Each morning it is her face that replaces the darkness.
In me she has drowned a young girl, and in me an old woman
Rises toward her day after day, like a terrible fish.
-Sylvia Plath
i want:
-world peace
-less hunger, less pain in the world
-more kows-jr. teehee